Beginning Your Chain Mail
- Choose a weave that you like. This article describes one method of weaving: the European 4-in-1 weave, a common and widely used weave. It gets its name from the fact that each non-edge ring has four other rings connected to it.
- There are ways to vary the basic European 4-in-1 weave that this article describes, such as the European 4-in-1 expanding (FFF) or make the European 6-in-1 (where you'll use six rings in one, rather than the four in one described by this article).
- Choose a design you like. If you are just beginning, start with something fairly small and simple until you get the hang of it. A full chainmail shirt has thousands of rings in it and can weigh more than 30 pounds. Instead, try a bracelet, belt, key chain, or other smaller, simpler design.
- Try chainmail jewelry for an unusual and elegant piece that you can wear for any occasion. When choosing wire for jewelry purposes, smaller wire will be better accepted by the general public. 18 gauge (wire thickness) down to 20 or 22 gauge is common. 24 gauge and smaller wire is starting to get into rings where you may need magnification to work them well. 16 gauge and up tends to produce thicker, more bulky pieces that have limited appeal.
- Choose your material. Decide whether you will make your own rings from wire or purchase rings. Rings are available in a variety of combinations of inside diameters (distance between the inside edges of the ring-abbreviated to ID) and gauges (wire thickness, or wire diameter [abbreviated WD]). The relationship between these two numbers, using the formula ID/WD, is the aspect ratio (abbreviated AR).
- Bigger rings will cover an area with fewer rings and less weight, but the texture will be coarser, regardless of AR.
- Rings with a larger AR will not be as strong as smaller AR rings of the same material, regardless of the material. Wire of a thicker gauge will be more durable, but also weigh more and be harder to work with.
- Materials for rings are not limited to plain iron or steel. You can also get rings in galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, inconel, niobium, silver, gold, and rubber. You can also get rings in a variety of colors and create many different inlays with them.
- An easy source of wire to get started is coat hangers. They are fairly easy to bend. The downside is that you have to cut your own rings and the result is not very strong.
- Another easy (but not as easy) source for wire is to go to a hardware store and go into the Fencing section and buy a spool of electric fence wire; this type of wire is typically available very inexpensively.
- Choose your tools. You'll need pliers for the rings, as well as a metal rod to wind the wire for the rings around. Match your pliers to your material. The pliers you would use on heavy gauge stainless steel will not be the same pliers you use on fine gauge silver.
- The teeth (the serrations on the jaws) on many standard pliers may damage the metal finish of your rings, especially on smaller wire and/or softer materials. For delicate (relatively speaking) ring materials, look for toothless pliers, or even tweezers if you are working with very small wire. You can also look around for plier jaw covers. A cheap alternative to plier jaw covers is plastic tubing of the correct gauge; slip the tubing over the ends of your pliers. The pliers must be strong enough to bend the metal you are using and fine enough to handle the ring size you choose.
- Types of metal rods include Phillips screwdrivers, or a steel rod purchased from a hardware store. Often you can find some type of metal rod lying about your house.
What does iykyk mean in text? What does continent mean? Onenote how to use best tips? How to fix a deviated septum without surgery? What does wellness mean? How to make strawberry banana smoothie? How to turn on battery percentage on iphone 13? How to start mediterranean diet? What is the meaning of the day of the dead? What does grim mean? What if ou find a ring in dnd tips? What does fox eat? what year was the skilled helper eleventh edition released How to work from home tips? How to lock apple watch? What is the meaning of paste? How to get a thigh gap? What is black butterfly meaning? How to view blocked numbers on iphone? What does under contract mean on zillow? What does paco mean in spanish? What minari meaning? What tricks can you do on a k-drive? Hand position when sleeping meaning? Where can i buy apple pencil tips? What does vandalism mean? What does an ear infection look like through an otoscope? What does celibate mean? How to charge tesla? How to make green bean casserole? What is a good cholesterol level? What does first generation mean? How to clean spark plugs? how do i make itunes helper not open when i turn on my computer How to report fraud? What does gs mean in shoes? How to find someone's location? what is helper saying venture bros What teams are in the nfl playoffs 2022? What is an infographic? What is the meaning of the name levi? How to factory reset ipad without password? How to use cricut infusible ink? What is mullet daddy meaning? What time does money heist come out? How to do tricks on a street surfing wave 360? What does deca mean? What is cassava? What does partita mean? What does omw mean in texting? What does ed mean in medical terms? Tips on how to gain confidence? What does the name heidi mean? How long to soft boil an egg? Resume tips + how to show you're interested in a new career? What does tot mean in football? What is the meaning of the name jackson? What is when feel numbness in finger tips? What is the meaning of ripen? What the empress tarot card meaning? Who does tricks? how to build kitchen helper Who said silly wabbit tricks are for kids fudd? what is the use of database helper What are egg shells made of? What are rural areas? How to watch packers game today? What is the krabby patty secret ingredient? How to focus? How to prevent leg cramps at night? What is the correct meaning of the word judgement? How to make a youtube account? What does apr mean on a credit card? What is irl meaning? How to do slide of hand tricks? What does etiquette mean? How to do tricks in fifa 14? How to do string tricks jacob's ladder? Okay google what is the meaning of life? What does ac mean in medical terms? How to use viagra for best results? How to make flower in little alchemy 2? What is the meaning of tampering? How to refill juul pods? What does the bible say about trust? How to curl eyelashes? How to clean black borla tailpipe tips? What are morels? What is the meaning of scheduling? what does the pledge helper do What is the meaning of copd? What does st john's wort do? How to win tic tac toe every time? 6 tips when crafting a new blog post title? Just when i thought i couldn't love you more meaning? How to get cats to do jumping tricks? How to do magic tricks without props? How to calculate heart rate? What does pristine mean? What foods are high in collagen? What does cg mean? What are lean meats?
Exquisite Chainmaille Jewelry
A begginners guide to making chainmaille jewelry.
How to Make a box chain for chain mail style jewelry